As part of the weathering project of some 1975-era freight cars, about which I posted recently, I also was requested to weather some HO scale models of 1975-era construction equipment (see the freight car post at: https://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2026/08/another-weathering-project.html ). These are era-appropriate models, made by First Gear and very nice (see their website at: https://firstgearinc.com/diecast-replicas/ ).
Below I show First Gear’s International Harvester tracked loader, model TP-25 with ROPS (Roll-Over Protective Structure) and ripper at rear. The prototype, equipped like this, was a 25-ton machine.
The smaller version was the I-H 175 series, around ten tons weight. Below is an internet image of one, helpfully well used, also with ROPS.
I also benefited from my son’s sending me an image of a very similar Caterpillar vehicle, also with ROPS, useful for seeing what a well-used machine looks like. First, an overall view, very helpful view of the looks of the tracks and overall dirt. Second, a view of the blade, emphasizing the bare steel look of the teeth (Cam Thompson photos).
These give me what I need to start weathering these impressive First Gear models. I will come back to that in a future post.
Tony Thompson




No comments:
Post a Comment