There is a long-standing problem in building layouts, to achieve realistic depictions of industries. The problem is size. Many a layout contains buildings hardly larger than a boxcar , and that building is switched regularly, though a boxcar load of cargo could hardly even fit in the building. I too am guilty of this in a place or two on my layout.
The classic solution, and often a good one, is to represent any mammoth industry, steel mill or whatever, on the backdrop, as a group of flats or even just a photograph, and the switching for that industry is just a warehouse or shipping building. In such a case, the industry spur may run close to the backdrop, with just a flat photo or semi-3D building with doors.
A good example of this kind of treatment was seen on a layout I visited during the 2023 “Great Lakes Getaway” in that year (for a description of the event, see: https://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2023/11/the-2023-great-lakes-getaway.html ). The backdrop, literally of a steel mill, was on John DePauw’s immense EJ&E, set in 1973. Below is a view of his Kirk Yard in Gary, Indiana, with the very suitable mill backdrop.
The industry, of course, need not be entirely in the distance, as is suggested by the above photo, served only by a delivery track or tracks. It can also be a flat of a specific building. I made several of these from the line of excellent KingMill backdrops of buildings, and used them several times for photo backdrops, as you see here. Even with its foamcore backing, it’s less than half an inch thick.
But if the industry in question is not quite so mammoth, we can choose to model just a three-dimensional shipping building, with the rest of the industry “elsewhere” off the layout. That was the approach I used for my Wine-Growers Cooperative facility in the layout town of Ballard. I built it so it would be just a warehouse and shipping facility, with the winery that actually produced the wine somewhere away from the railroad.
This industry is really two buildings, a large brick building imagined as the new part of the facility, and an older frame building with a shingle roof, a carryover from the original facility. The warehouse is for both aging and storage.
The brick warehouse is simply a Bristol board box covered with brick paper and three loading doors. The frame part of the building was scratchbuilt and roofed with Campbell shingles. As shown below, I made an open loading platform so that I could include a workman handling a large wine barrel. Blending wine was still shipped in barrels to some extent in my era. (Be sure to choose barrels that would fit through the four-foot swing doors of the era’s reefers!)
I think that using this structure as just a shipping building helps its credibility, as it is really too small to be a realistic winery by itself (I have modeled a more credible-size building as my Zaca Mesa winery; see: https://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2025/11/my-zaca-mesa-winery.html ). As I said above, it’s one way to deal with our usual over-compression of structures.
Nearly every layout can benefit from ways to represent larger industries than we have room to model in their entirety. What I’ve show here just scratches the surface. I used to keep notes when I saw a clever or especially effective way of doing this on layout visits. It’s one of the great benefits of such visits, one of the many things a visitor can learn from the imagination and work of others.
Tony Thompson


No comments:
Post a Comment