Sunday, July 5, 2020

Another impressive load

My recent work on models of heavy-duty flat cars, starting with the Army (USAX) car and continuing with the Southern Pacific 200-ton model from Funaro & Camerlengo, has led me to work toward making loads suitable for these cars. As an example, here is a link to my most recent post on that topic: https://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2020/06/blocking-big-loads-part-2.html . Those previously described loads were from Multiscale Digital LLC.
     Another relatively new company making loads that I’ve learned about is Dimensional Modeling Concepts, with a fairly extensive catalog. It mostly comprises 3-D printed piece or components. I especially like their large shell-and-tube heat exchanger, so I ordered one. You can visit their site at: https://dmcrrproducts.com . This assembly is 45 scale feet long, so would require at least a 50-foot flat car. To ensure that anyone interested knows the exact description, the box label is below.


I purchased the assembled model, but it is also available as a kit (the kit is $28).
     This load can be carried on a 70-ton flat car. Here’s a photo of the load itself:


To give an idea of the size of this model, the dimensions of the load are a little over six actual inches long and almost two inches high.
     On the DMC website is a photo of an example loading, shown on a modern flat car with extensive cable tie-downs. In earlier eras, most loads were less thoroughly restrained. Note also that this example of the heat exchanger is painted a browner color than the one you see above.


     For my own modeling of 1953, I blocked the load differently. The two “feet” received blocking, as they and only they are the support for this equipment when installed. To forestall fore-and-aft motion as well as tipping, I made hold-down rods from four of the tabs on the heat-exchanger body (instead of the six per side, 12 in all, in the photo above),
     For the blocking, I used scale 8 x 8-inch stripwood, with bolt heads indicated. For the hold-down rods, I used 0.025-inch iron wire that I had on hand. This wire has the advantage that it is iron-colored and so requires no painting, though I added some dabs of rust. The rods pass down through stake pockets on the flat car, and would have been threaded on the end, so that they could pass through a plate underneath the stake pocket and be secured with a nut. (You can click on the image to enlarge it, if you wish.)


The 70-ton flat car that you see here is a Red Caboose model, SP 140501, Class F-70-7. 
     I need to devise a suitable banner to identify the manufacturer, because that kind of signage was very common on eye-catchiing prototype loads like this. And of course there should be “DO NOT HUMP” signs at all four corners. But for now, I have a dramatic load to run in my through trains, even if there are no suitable recipients to which I could deliver this piece of equipment on my branch line.
Tony Thompson



No comments:

Post a Comment