Since the earliest days of my layout I have envisioned handling ore shipments. (Probably a side effect of my professional life as a metallurgist.) There isn’t space on my layout for the mines themselves, but I can duplicate what often happened with small mines that would not justify a spur track to the mine. Instead, the ore was trucked to the nearest rail line, and dumped from trucks into rail cars.
Such dumps naturally varied widely, from the simplest platform above the rails for dump trucks to dump from, to more elaborate arrangements in which coal could be screened, waste rock removed, or simply stored awaiting a rail car.
The simplest kind, the overhead platform for direct dumping, has been available for years in HO scale from Blair Line. Here is their photo of a completed kit:
Beyond the simple overhead platform, varying degrees of complexity can be found. Here is an interesting prototype view of Dyco #1 Tipple in southern Ohio (Harrison County Coal Museum).
The trucks arrive along the elevated roadway at left, and dump into a bin. A conveyor then elevates the coal to a minimal structure above the rails, which may be nothing more than a storage bin. A hopper car is spotted under the building in this photo.So what would the loads be on my layout? I have written two previous blog posts about a specific ore that was mined in the area I model: chromite. Here’s the first article, with background on the geology and local history: https://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2016/10/modeling-mining-in-your-locale.html . I went into more detail specifically about this kind of ore in the second article, including making chromite loads for ore cars: https://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2016/10/modeling-mining-part-2.html .
The loads I’ve made are intended to represent low-grade or “disseminated” chromite ore, much different from high-grade or concentrated ore, which is dark brown or black. These distinctions are explored in the second post just cited.
I showed my ore cars in that second post, cited above; I have used old Model Die Casting white metal kits for some of the cars, along with a Grandt Line O-scale kit for a Gilpin Tram ore car, simply with details like brake wheel, grab irons and trucks in HO scale. This looks fine in HO, though it has no prototype that I know of at this size. Comparing the two kinds of cars, it looks like the volume of the Gilpin-type cars may be around half that of the conventional 70-ton ore car.
My choice was to build a ramp for dump trucks alongside Bromela Road in my layout town of Ballard, add a portable conveyor, and then all you need is ore cars. In the photo below, today’s road engine on the Santa Rosalia Local, Alco S-4 no. 1474, is picking up a load of chromite ore.
One thing I haven’t really discussed before is the destination of such loads. Certainly the chromite of the low-grade type, which I’m modeling, was processed for use in high-temperature refractories. One possible destination, then, was Kaiser’s plant making such products. This low-grade ore was less desirable in making ferroalloys, but was used when the price was right. These two kinds of destination are shown in the examples below.
It is fun for me to have actual mining shipments on my layout, even if it is kind of a marginal product and I didn’t get to model a mine. The chromite choice does fit the locale and the period.
Tony Thompson





No comments:
Post a Comment