In the previous post, it could be seen that the track into the extension area has to curve to the left. I also wanted to have two industrial tracks. The obvious way to accomplish this efficiently is with a curved turnout. I chose a Peco “Setrack” turnout for this location, because it has a true curve through both legs of the switch, as well as having sufficient curvature. Peco trackwork also has a good reputation for being well-built and dependable. I used their model ST-245, an “Insulfrog” turnout, which means that it is an “all-live” arrangement, rather than power-routing, and the frog does not have to be gapped, as in a power-routing turnout. Your hobby shop probably carries Peco, but if not, they can be obtained direct from Walthers or other on-line hobby merchants. For more on the fine Peco line of turnouts, you can visit their site at http://www.peco-uk.com/ , or you can get a convenient summary of data on the entire range of Peco turnouts (all scales and gauges) at this Australian site: http://www.rmcq.mixedpk.com/worksheets/peco_turnout_dimensions.pdf .
In the table just cited, you will see, among other things, that the Setrack ST-245 double-curved turnout has an 11.25-degree frog angle, which is equivalent to a Number 5 turnout, which I have tried to maintain as a minimum on my layout.
When installed, it looked like this.
As I always do in preparing a new area to be scenicked, before laying track, I painted the baseboard area a medium brown. There have been recommendations in some published articles by modelers to use a beige or tan color, but my experience has been that any chip or scratch in the scenic material revealing such a color really stands out, much more so than use of a medium to dark brown. I like a Rust-Oleum color called “Nutmeg,” which is water-based and available in small cans. Here’s a view of the extension area after painting. At upper right will be the rise of a hill, so I didn’t need to color that area.
Next I carried on with tracklaying. This is all flex track, with rails prepainted Floquil “Rail Brown,” which later will receive additional color variation.
This concludes what I want to summarize in this post about work on the Shumala extension. I already have structures underway to use here, one of which will be the packing shed kit which was described earlier (at: http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-packing-shed-for-shumala.html ), and I will probably post more about them as work progresses.