Saturday, August 24, 2024

Chromite ore shipments on my layout

 I’ve written several posts in the past about chromite mining in the area I model, the Central Coast of California. The first issue for me, and for anyone modeling a specific mining area, is to find out the prototype facts. I wrote a fairly general introduction about this, emphasizing how anyone could follow the kinds of leads I followed to learn about mining history in the area I model. That post is here: https://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2016/10/modeling-mining-in-your-locale.html

I then wrote about modeling suitable ore cars, and suitable loads, to represent this ore traffic, in a Part 2 of the post just cited. In that post, I showed the crushed green shale I have used to represent a disseminated chromite ore (read it at: https://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2016/10/modeling-mining-part-2.html ). This ore was too low of a grade to be used for refining to chromium metal or ferro-chrome alloying additives, and was typically used as a component in refractory brick.

In a third, more recent post, I repeated some of the background on chromite, and showed a few of the ore cars that I have placed in service. As I prefer to do in most of my open-top cars, the loads are removable. (See: https://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2021/10/chromite-mining-on-my-layout.html .)

I was aware that by the 1950s most chromite mining in California was “pocket” mining on a small scale. I also faced the problem that there wasn’t space on the layout to install a mine scene. Solution? Assume ore is trucked from mine to rail. Then a truck dump would be the way that ore cars would be loaded, and this is also a compact kind of industry. 

I did have minimal space alongside Bromela Road in my town of Ballard, and built up a small incline that could perhaps serve as a truck dump. The truck helps identify what it is. The dump is by no means high enough to get close to direct dumping out of trucks into a railcar, so a conveyor would be needed.

So despite its obvious limitations, this preliminary attempt does suggest the activity. Then, in an operating session, a loaded ore car alongside the “dump” looks all right. A switch crew can pick up this car and understand its origin.

I have for some time kicked around ways to make this more realistic. A low truck incline is all right, if trucks can dump into a receiving bin, which in turn is emptied via conveyor into a railcar. But the space alongside Bromela Road is terribly narrow to model all that. Another possibility would be to load the ore cars at a team track, a logical place for truckloads of ore to arrive. Most of my team tracks have ample space to model a loading scene.

Note in the above photo that I show a GS (General Service) drop-bottom gondola being loaded. In one of my interviews with Mac Gaddis, he mentioned gondolas of actual chromite, a much denser material than the disseminated ore I am modeling. (See Mac’s comments at: http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2011/01/modeling-freight-traffic-coast-line_19.html .) But either ore could be loaded on my branch.

I am still toying with the idea of kitbashing the Walthers Truck Dump kit (their number 933-4058) into something I could use at a team track. I am a firm believer in Tony Koester’s admonition, “Don’t look at the name or picture on the box, just use the parts you need to make what you want” (from his fine book, How to Kitbash Structures, Kalmbach Books, 2012). If I get sufficiently inspired to do that, I’ll report on it in a future post.

Tony Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment