Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Visiting a rail museum in Budapest

My wife and I recently returned from a short trip to Prague, Bratislava and Budapest, and among the activities always interesting to watch on such a trip is railroading. We were pretty busy seeing the standard sights, and there wasn’t a great deal of time for trains, but in Budapest I had a little free time and took the opportunity to go off to the Transport Museum in City Park there. It is really an impressive museum.
     Here are two views of the 4-8-0 locomotive preserved outside the building.



Posed in front of the engine in the second view is Geoff Rezek, to whom I am indebted for these museum views, as he had his camera and I didn’t have mine.
     Inside, numerous original locomotives were preserved, along with many really excellent 1:5 models of a wide range of other engines. This view shows a small fraction of the collection, but gives an idea of the arrangement.


     While at the museum, I found a current copy of the local model magazine, which I show below. Its title means “Train and Model.”


     I enjoyed the interior of the magazine too, though I don’t read Magyar (Hungarian). The model and prototype photos are self-explanatory. One thing I especially liked was this advertisement:


The headline means, approximately, “you’d like to go here,” and I always enjoy (restrained) humor in modeling.
     The company, Miha Modell, is a German firm making Code 250 rail in both steel and nickel-silver, as well as tie strip and wheelsets for large-scale modeling. Their web site is: http://www.miha-modell.de/ and the considerable scope of their products is evident there.
     I describe all these matters not as a tribute to a specific museum, though it is a good one, but to illustrate that taking the opportunity to explore whatever railroad-related sights are handy, can often be interesting and fun.
Tony Thompson

2 comments:

  1. Tony...
    No mention of the NoHAB license-built EMD lok in the background (2nd photo)???

    ...and TT-scale is alive and very well on both the Buda and Pest sides of the Danube!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's what it is, although it's only the cab section. And no locomotives like that were preserved inside, so I didn't want to say anything further. I also didn't mention the AN-2 biplane on top of the building, as we didn't see aircraft inside.
    Tony Thompson

    ReplyDelete